Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lifted up my patriotic spirit

This song is from movie Pardes, released on 1997. It was when I was six years old. I could remember humming this song often when I was young. Yesterday, I happened to hear this song in a Hindi channel after long gap. I felt like travelling back to my childhood days again. I set out to find some information about the song. 

"London" dekha "Paris" dekha...
I've seen London, I've seen Paris,

aur dekha "Japan"
and I've seen Japan.

"Michael" dekha "Elvis" dekha sab dekha meri jaan
I've seen Michael (Jackson), I've seen Elvis; I've seen it all, my darling;

saare jag mein kahin nahin hai duusra hindustaan
and in all the world there is no other India,

duusra hindustaan...
no other India...

yeh duniya ik dulhan...
This world is a bride,

dulhan ke maathe ki bindiya
and the jewel (bindi) on the bride's forehead

yeh mera india yeh mera india
is this India of mine, this India of mine.(2)

jab chheda balhaar kisi ne
It took a fabulous tune to

jhuumke saawan aaya
make the rains descend.

aag laga di paani mein jab
The water lit on fire

dipak raag sunaaya
at the sound of the Deepak raga.

saat suron ka sangam yeh jiwan giton ka maala
This life is a garland made of songs, the meeting of the seven notes.

ham apne bhagwaan ko bhi kahate hain baansuriwaala
We even call our God 'the flute player.' [i.e., Krishna]


( yeh mera india )

pihu pihu bole papihaa
The cuckoo caws, pihu pihu!

koyal koyal kuhu kuhu gaaye
The crow sings, kuhu kuhu!

hanste rote hamne jiwan ki sab git banaaye
In laughter and tears, we (Indians) made all of life's songs.

yeh saari duniya apne apne giton ko gaaye
This whole world sings to our songs.

git voh gaao jis se is mitti ki khushbu aaye
Sing the song from which the fragrance of this earth arises.

vatan mera india sajan mera india
India, my homeland; India, my beloved.

(yeh duniya ik dulhan... )

0 Spoke out:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...