Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

Happy is the man who acquires reading. According to me, poor is the man who does not read, and empty is his life. Books are real treasures. I had totally slacked off on reading the past month. So I started with a book "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen which I got from one of my friends. I was initially reluctant to move on with this book as I had more interest towards non-fiction. But now, it has become one of my favourites. Inspite of youngster's natural attraction to Sidney Sheldon and sometimes even the light and foolish Archie's comics, Pride and Prejudice dominates my preferences. Not to forget Anne Frank's "The Diary Of a Young Girl" which always tops in my favourites list.
Jane with her candid elegance in writing, stringing together of phrases beautifully and subtle humour undoubtedly captivates the reader's minds. What is so remarkable is that it tends to rely on the familiarity of surroundings rather than the pompousness of vast and widely travelled knowledge. Not a page borders on boredom.And the most striking part is the unmissable but extremely subtle humour.
The thing that intrigues is the semi-biographical touch in the book. It has amazing set of characters. Each character has depth and is conspicuous; be it the cunning Miss Bingely, affected Lady Catherine, attractive Elizabeth or the beautiful Jane Banett. An entire book on a few dances, a character's snobbery, fair love and neighbourliness is what sets this book apart.
A classic that will remain etched in reader's heart and leave its indelible mark upon the the mind....




7 Spoke out:

Anonymous said...

very good and decent review..pride and prejudice is undoubtedly a classic etched in everyone's heart and mind..well said


Your blog's ardent reader

Book Lover said...

Nice blog and an equally awesome words...cute and comprehensive way of writing...Awesome blog too

Sanjeetha Veni said...

Thank you

Stranger said...

I jst hate book reading.. World's most disgusting work!!!
BTW hw do u do this??

Carry on wid ur lovely BOOKS!! :))

Stranger said...

one more thing... wat d hell dat blue bird is doin on ur profile page... She is poking me alot!!
Give her some fodder yaar.. Malnourished Bird

:P

Sanjeetha Veni said...

@ Deepak : I heard that you are always with books in your hands now...:) Serious preparation ..:)
Sure..would definitely give some fodder for the bird..:)

Usha said...

One of my favorites as well.

Maybe you should watch the movie "Becoming Jane". I've seen it a million times and love it oh so mcuh. Oops I'm ranting.

So yeah, it will give a better picture of what kinda person Jane Austen was. I have a thing for period movies. :D

Cheers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...